Facebook has set pretty strict guidelines for what can and can’t be displayed and communicated on the new timeline cover image.
What you CAN do:
- Brand the heck out of your company, book or personal brand. This include brand images, logos, photos and any other visual marks.
- Inspire your audience with visually appealing graphics, colors and images.
- Use simple language that will help you inspire and connect with your fans.
What you can NOT do: (Per Facebook cover guidelines)
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”
Basically the cover image is provided to inspire and connect with your fans. It is not meant for blatant self promotion or hard sales.
*Obviously make sure you have legal copyrights to all images and content.